It’s the most wonderful time of the year!
Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year, Flu Season… Yep.
It’s not a super fun part of the holidays but there’s one thing I do (year round, actually) that helps keep the bugs at bay.
Read on to learn how I make sure I’m focusing on carving turkeys (or Tofurky) and sipping eggnog rather than stocking up on tissues and chicken soup!
OK, it’s not a mysterious family secret, passed down from generation to generation, or some magic serum that fends off germs, it’s better: Superfoods.
I drink a green smoothie that is chock-full of nutrients every morning and it has made an incredible difference in my overall health.
Here’s a quick peek at the ingredients I use, but feel free to modify it as you see fit!
- Spinach – a well known nutritional powerhouse full of Vitamin A, B2, C, K, Magnesium, Manganese, Folate, Iron, Calcium, Potassium and tons of antibiotics.
- Oranges – Vitamin C bomb!
- Pineapple – Long revered for its anti-inflammatory properties, this regal fruit also contains potassium,
bromalain, copper, manganese, calcium, magnesium, vitamin C, beta-carotene, thiamin, B6, and folate, as well as soluble and insoluble fibre.
- Turmeric – Also a popular anti-inflammatory resource, turmeric is also known for it’s antioxidant and anti-cancer properties and is rich in vitamin B6, C, and minerals such as iron, calcium and potassium.
- Ginger – This root’s active ingredient is gingerol, famous for its ability to reduce the risk of infections. Also anti-inflammatory.
- Cayenne Pepper – Disease preventing and health promoting, this pepper is full of Vitamins A, B6, and C, and minerals such as iron and potassium, cayenne boosts immunity, attacks free radicals, and contains anti-bacterial, anti-carcinogenic, analgesic and anti-diabetic properties.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – The type that is unfiltered and still has the “mother” intact, specifically. ACV contains proteins, friendly bacteria and enzymes, allowing it to kill infectious bacteria, boost immunity, and increase energy. Sometimes I’ll do a shot of this in the morning with a bit of honey and lemon if I can’t get to a whole smoothie.
- Lemon – High in Vitamin C, lemons are alkalizing, detoxifying and improves digestion (plus literally a ton of other things).
- Greek Yogurt – Mainly for its probiotic properties but also for its calcium and protein as well!
COLD & FLU FIGHTING SMOOTHIE:
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- 1 C water or coconut water
- ½ C orange juice or a whole orange
- 1 C pineapple
- ½ t ground turmeric
- 2t apple cider vinegar
- 1T greek yogurt
- ½ of a lemon
- 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
Blend it all together and enjoy that supported immune system!
*Always use organic ingredients to ensure that harmful pesticides don’t ruin your hard work!
I’ll modify based off of what I have on hand but I try to keep most of these ingredients in the pantry.
Feel free to omit or add as you see fit, any combination of these superfood powerhouses will help beef up your immunity, support your other body organs and functions, and keep you hydrated and debloated (so you can eat that pumpkin pie guilt-free!).
Subscribe to our Newsletter
This recipe was featured in our weekly newsletter.
To join our mailing list and receive weekly tips on business strategy, featured ethical businesses, unique and sustainable products, environmental news, social justice + more, click here to subscribe!